About Arts New Orleans
Now in its fourth decade, the Arts Council of New Orleans (dba Arts New Orleans) is a private, nonprofit organization that supports arts and culture in the city. Our mission is to improve the quality of life in New Orleans by supporting, activating, and investing in our city’s greatest natural resource: our artists, cultural producers, and creative community.
Building on the abundant cultural wealth and creativity of our community, Arts New Orleans envisions a New Orleans in which arts and culture play a pivotal role in all areas of policy, planning, and placemaking. We believe art and artists should be central to all community and economic development efforts – from public health to public safety, education to infrastructure.
We do this through special initiatives along with a variety of ongoing programs, including:
- Public Art & Placemaking – From managing the City of New Orleans’ public art collection to private client commissions, we offer support for a wide range of creative and placemaking projects
- Young Artist Movement (YAM) – An arts education and workforce development program that connects youth to civic issues
- LUNA Fête – New Orleans’ free annual festival of light, art, and technology
- Arts Market – A bi-monthly series of fine arts and craft markets in City Park and Marsalis Harmony Park
- Grantmaking – Administering state and city support for arts & cultural initiatives
- Salon – A unique artist residency program in Canal Place
- Unframed – Large-scale mural program in downtown New Orleans
Administrative Specialist Job Description
The part-time Administrative Specialist will play a vital role in supporting Arts New Orleans’ President & CEO. This position will provide administrative assistance, manage calendars, coordinate and take minutes at meetings, and prepare correspondence and reports. The Administrative Specialist will also assist in organizing board meetings and special projects and maintain effective communication with stakeholders. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, highly organized, and possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the growth of Arts New Orleans and the vibrant arts community we serve.
Schedule: Arts New Orleans’ team currently works remotely. The Administrative Specialist is required to attend bi-weekly in-person staff meetings on Thursday mornings at our office located at 1474 N. Broad St, along with frequent in-person meetings with the President & CEO.
This part-time employee position requires 20 hours per week. The schedule will be determined by the President & CEO, but candidates must be able to work an average of 4 hours per day, Monday – Friday. Some weekday evenings and weekends will be required to attend events and important meetings.
August or September 2023
- Must embrace the mission of Arts New Orleans
- Previous experience in executive administration or similar role in a non-profit or small business is desired
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years’ experience in a fast-paced professional environment
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in using office software such as word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software including Microsoft Office Suite
- Detail-oriented, with a strong commitment to accuracy and quality in all work
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work collaborative with diverse stakeholders and maintain positive relationships
- Self-motivated and proactive, with the ability to work independently and take initiative to solve problems
- Provide administrative support to the President & CEO, including managing calendars, scheduling appointments, and coordinating meetings.
- Assist with the organization and coordination of board meetings, including preparing meeting agendas, minutes, and other materials.
- Prepare and edit correspondence, reports, and presentations on behalf of the President & CEO.
- Maintain organized and up-to-date electronic and physical filing systems.
- Ensure prompt delivery and organization of contracts, grant applications, and other paperwork requiring the President & CEO’s signature.
- Assist with basic financial tasks, including processing invoices, distributing checks, and submitting expense reports.
- Serve as a point of contact for internal and external stakeholders, relaying messages and ensuring timely responses.
- Assist with special projects and initiatives, conducting research, preparing summaries, and coordinating follow-up actions.
- Support the President & CEO in maintaining effective communication with staff, board members, donors, and other key stakeholders.
- Prepare the Broad St. office and other spaces for in-person meetings, including purchasing refreshments, set up and clean up.
- Oversee a clean and organized office environment, including maintaining office supply levels and coordinating professional cleaning services.
- Coordinate the ordering and delivery of items, such as printed materials, apparel, or supplies and equipment.
- Check mail at the Arts New Orleans P.O. Box and Broad St. office.
- Field phone calls on the Arts New Orleans phone line and assign to the proper team member for follow-up.
- Reinforce the use of administrative systems and tools throughout the organization.
- Maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Be flexible and adaptable to respond to new duties as the agency grows and evolves.
- Assist other staff members with administrative duties, as needed and directed by the President & CEO, and serve as an Arts New Orleans team player by assisting with organizational and/or programmatic needs that may fall outside administrative responsibilities.
Salary & Benefits
This part-time employee position requires 20 hours per week. The starting salary is $26,000. Part-time employees do not receive health insurance or other benefits.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted through July 31, 2023, or whenever the position is filled. If you are interested in the position, we encourage you to submit your application materials immediately. Interviews will be held as resumes are received.
Please e-mail a cover letter (no more than two pages), resume, and three references to email@example.com. Include your name and Administrative Specialist in the email subject line.