Deadline to Apply: September 8, 2023
Friends of Lafitte Greenway, in partnership with the New Orleans Recreation Development Commission (NORD), is calling on artists, artist teams, and designers to submit proposals for the 4th Supernova exhibit: December 7-9, 2023 at the Greenway Plaza and Station. Visit lafittegreenway.com/supernova2022 to learn more about last year’s exhibit.
The Greenway Supernova exhibits light art installations from new and emerging local artists. Artists have the opportunity to be part of the 4th annual Supernova. Art installations light up the Greenway Plaza and Station throughout the three-night event that saw over 7,000 visitors last year.
Supernova is a free annual, light-based, public art exhibit and music event on the Greenway .Supernova is designed to inspire, spark joy and wonder for the New Orleans community, support the growth of emerging visual and performing artists, and grow the Lafitte Greenway’s community. Supernova will be on display at the Greenway Plaza and Station where the Greenway meets Bayou St. John, 500 N. Norman C. Francis Pkwy.
Returning to its roots, Supernova will be exhibited in partnership with LUNA Fête, Arts New Orleans’ annual festival of light, art, and technology. Celebrating its 10th Edition this year, LUNA Fête 2023 will return to New Orleans’ Ernest N. Morial Convention Center Pedestrian Park while also incorporating additional sites across the New Orleans metro region, including Supernova on the Lafitte Greenway.
Through Supernova, we aim to:
- Display light-based installations that will activate the Greenway Station and Plaza as a place that celebrates and reflects our local culture and inspires curiosity and creativity.
- Support local artists, emerging artists and cultural bearers.
- Support the beautification of our city, and increase civic pride through public art.
- Bring life to the Greenway through arts and cultural placemaking.
- Enhance the everyday lives of New Orleanians of all ages.
- Foster connections across diverse New Orleans communities along the Lafitte Greenway.
- Promote joy, healing, and connectedness.
- Raise money for the Greenway programs and projects through sponsorships and donations.
Applications must be submitted via email by 11:59 PM (CST) on September 8th, 2023. Applicants must prepare and submit the following requirements as a single PDF, emailed to email@example.com with “Supernova Artist Submission” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Submissions must include:
Artist Concept Statement: (Max. 2 pages): Please include a brief description of your work, artistic vision, and the proposed artwork to be created. Be sure to include:
- Artist Statement – Highlight the concepts, themes and ideas you explore and present in your practice, and any background experience that makes you a good fit for this project. If you have a relationship to the Greenway or its neighborhoods, describe that here. Team applications should clearly describe the contribution of each collaborator.
- Brief description of the proposed artwork – Describe the proposed installation. You may include a sketch, drawing, or photograph if desired, but it is not a requirement. Suggested installation size should create an experience to fit a 10×10 space
- Rank top 3 preferred locations – Final locations will be assigned by selection committee
Resume: (Max. 2 pages) Tell us about your professional experience and your accomplishments as an artist. If applying as a team, submit a maximum of four one-page resumes.
Work Samples: (Max. of 5 images) Provide up to 5 digital images or website links of past projects that relate to the project you are proposing. For each image submitted, list the work sample’s title, and date. You may also list the location of works currently on exhibition in galleries, theaters, and/or in a public space.
Questions: Please attend the pre-application site-visit on August 29, 2023 to ask questions directly. Additional questions may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Website for more Information: https://www.lafittegreenway.org/supernova