Deadline to Apply: January 3, 2022
WHO WE ARE
Rockwood supports leaders to transform themselves, their communities, and the world towards equity, liberation, and sustainability for all. We do this by providing powerful and effective training to individual leaders and cohorts, thereby strengthening the organizations and movements they represent. Since 2000, we have trained over 9,000 alum—of which 63% are people of color, 77% are women or non-binary, and 29% LGBTQ-identified. For more about our evolution and impact, please visit this link.
Rockwood does not do business as usual. Our commitment to values influences every aspect of our organization—what we do and how we do it. Rockwood’s core values include:
● Trust and integrity
● Love, laughter, and holding each other in community
● Healing, sustainability, and self-care
GRANTS MANAGER—Writing and Administration
This role is an excellent opportunity for candidates who are skilled and have a strong track record in writing and administration. If you love writing, details, deadlines, and tracking progress along the way, this may be the role for you! For an eager and committed learner, the database, project management software, and technical fundraising skills can be learned on the job.
Rockwood is embodying a Pro-Black, Pro-Indigenous, Anti-white supremacy culture framework across the organization. Over the next year, we will evolve many of our materials to reflect this framework, while meeting the needs of our partners and funders, and customizing for each. We are looking for candidates who are motivated by and aligned to this direction, and who are also comfortable with the necessity for and role of mobilizing resources for our work.
The Grants Manager is a critical member of the Resource team, which practices values-based fundraising integrated with Rockwood core values. We focus on relationships combined with high quality standards. Recognizing that being responsive to the needs of our partners is critical to our success, we move at a fast pace and place a high value on timely responsiveness and thorough tracking of details and deadlines.
The salary for this position is $75,000. Rockwood offers a 32-hour full-time Monday – Thursday work week and a competitive benefits package. This position is remote for candidates living within the United States.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
● Create: Create and update new standard language for Resource team, reflecting programmatic evolutions at Rockwood.
● Proposals: Customize Rockwood concept papers and proposals for specific partners, donors, and potential donors to Rockwood.
● Reports: Customize and finalize grant reports and partner reports.
● Impact Reports: Write compelling impact and case statements as assigned.
● Acknowledgments: Produce standard donor acknowledgement letters for all donations.
● Campaigns: Write and direct campaigns for individual donor appeals.
Administration and Operations
● Calendars: Manage proposal and reporting calendars. Ensure deadlines for grant reports, grant renewals, and all required and requested processes from foundation partners are calendared and followed.
● Filing: Maintain and improve administrative and filing systems for grants and donations.
● Liaison: Serve as primary liaison with the program team to gather impact and evaluation data for proposals and reports. Serve as primary liaison with the finance team and consultants for foundation income forecasting and budgets for proposals and reports.
● Prospecting: Maintain and improve a donor pipeline of prospects.
● Database: Maintain and improve team use of Salesforce database. (Salesforce can be learned on the job.)
● Project Management: Manage projects and tasks consistently through Asana. (Asana can be learned on the job.)
● Scheduling: Book calls with funders, director of strategic initiatives, CEO, and other team members as requested.
● Briefings: Prepare briefings for external meetings, ensuring team members are prepared with background information.
● Note-Taking: Take comprehensive and organized notes during external calls, specifically noting next steps and ensuring actions are noted in systems.
● Team Participation: Participate in other Resource team functions as needed, in a changing and flexible team environment.
● Internal Research: Internalize Rockwood approach to accurately represent the organization through written and verbal communications.
● Prospect Research: Complete donor research briefings as assigned. Follow new leads generated through research.
MUST-HAVE SKILLS AND TALENTS
o Exceptional writing skills—you’ll be able to translate impact into compelling and concise language that is reflective of our core values and direction at Rockwood
o Impeccable editing and proofing skills using standard English conventions
o Ability to customize language to the audience as needed
● Administration and Operations:
o Ability to track details—you have a system of managing tasks and future follow-up
o Proven ability to learn quickly, work independently, meet multiple deadlines, and perform under pressure
● Team Support:
o Desire to work within a very diverse workplace and relate to a broad spectrum of people outside of Rockwood
o Eagerness to do what is necessary to support the team toward results, including administrative tasks
o Practices personal wellness and self-care to manage stress in the workplace
o Curiosity, interest in learning, and ability to decipher the information that matters along the way
Please submit a 1-page letter describing your interest in this position, a 1-page professional writing sample that speaks to the skills required, and your resume to email@example.com by Tuesday, Jan 3, 2023. You can expect to hear back about the status of your application by January 9, 2023.
The full-time, exempt salary for this position is $75,000. Rockwood offers a 32-hour full-time Monday – Thursday work week with occasional work on Fridays as needed, and a competitive benefits package. This is a remote position based in the United States. Annual travel to the Bay Area required. Occasional travel within the continental US required (approximately 5% – 10% per year).
Rockwood Leadership Institute is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. In accordance with applicable law, Rockwood prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Black, Indigenous, people of color, trans, GNC, non-binary and people of all gender identities, people with disabilities, and LGBQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Finally, thank you for taking the time to read this job description. We’re looking forward to getting to know you.