In pursuit of a more equitable, joyful, and resilient city, Arts New Orleans believes art and artists should be central to all community and economic development efforts – from public health to public safety, education to infrastructure.
Our advocacy efforts have included:
- Participation in the statewide Louisiana Partnership for the Arts, an advocacy organization representing 7,871 arts-related businesses employing 54,375 jobs, people and impacting millions of audience members in every community in the state
- After multiple years of directed advocacy, the New Orleans City Council unanimously voted to amend the Percent for Art Ordinance, increasing the allocation from 1-1.5% and removing several previously restricted infrastructure categories, resulting in a significant increase in future funding for public art, and more equitable distribution across our neighborhoods.
- Work with artists to create temporary and permanent public art installations to increase awareness and action related to climate vulnerability, flood mitigation, land subsidence, and living with water.
- Yearly requests to the New Orleans City Council to increase the budget for the Community Arts Grant program that supports art activities by local arts and culture organizations
- Raised funds for artists impacted by Hurricane Ida
- Promote and distribute critical resources to artists and arts organizations from artist calls to funding opportunities
- Expanded our Young Artist Movement (YAM) program to provide arts-based diversion in partnership with the Orleans Parish District Attorney’s office.
Louisiana Office of Cultural Development
The Office of Cultural Development serves the citizens of Louisiana by preserving, supporting, developing and promoting Louisiana culture, including archaeology, arts, French language and historic places.
Louisiana State Arts Council
Bayou Regional Arts Council, Houma, LA
Arts Council of Greater Baton Rouge, Baton Rouge, LA
Arts & Humanities Council of Southwest Louisiana, Lake Charles, LA
Shreveport Regional Arts Council, Shreveport, LA
Acadiana Center for the Arts, Lafayette, LA
Arts Council of Central Louisiana, Alexandria, LA
Northeast Louisiana Arts Council, West Monroe, LA
St. Tammany Parish Government Commission on Cultural Affairs, Covington, LA
Louisiana Citizens for Culture
Advocates to advance the arts, archaeology, historic preservation and community revitalization at the local, state and federal levels.
The Ella Project
Provides tools and legal assistance for artists and creators as well as advocates for the cultural community by seeking creative proactive solutions to issues that affect Louisiana artists and our cultural landscape.
The Music and Culture Coalition of New Orleans (MACCNO)
Organizes, empowers, and advocates with New Orleans’ musicians, artists, traditional culture bearers, and other members and allies of the cultural community.
New Orleans Arts Education Alliance
Works together across schools and communities to ensure meaningful, equitable arts education for all children in New Orleans public schools.